Undoubtedly, QuickBooks Desktop is a fantastic bookkeeping application. Being in use by thousands of enterprises, QuickBooks makes the management of all the accounting tasks much easy. However, working with QuickBooks Desktop is not free from errors and technical glitches. QuickBooks error 6189 816 is one such error, which belongs to the 6XXX series errors and often occurs when a user seeks to access its company files on a multi-user network. An error text might appear on the computer display reading, “An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file.” Through this post, we have tried our best to explain all the reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks error code 6189 816, along with all the possible troubleshooting methods.
Are you searching for instant troubleshooting assistance to rectify QuickBooks error 6189 816? If yes, please contact our QuickBooks experts at +1-855-856-0042.
Read more : QuickBooks Error 1904
What are the reasons causing QuickBooks error code 6189 816?
QuickBooks error code 6189 816 often gets triggered when there are some issues with the QuickBooks program files, like corruption. Nonetheless, there can be other reasons behind it, such as:
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager, which is necessary for QuickBooks Desktop to switch itself to multi-user mode, is failing to find the company files on the server.
How to get over QuickBooks error 6189 816 with safety?
Method 1) Run the Quick Fix my Program tool from QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Close the open windows of QuickBooks.
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub of the present release (18.104.22.168).
- Open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file (the downloaded file) and do as per the on-screen instructions.
- Agree to the terms and conditions to complete the installation of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Double-click the icon of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Select the Program Problems tab from the left panel.
- Click on the Quick Fix my Program option to run the tool.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and try to access your company file.
If QuickBooks error 6189 816 persists, proceed further to the second method which could help the user for sure.
Method 2) Run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your server
- On the server computer, launch QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Select the Network Issues tab from the left pane.
- Click on the QuickBooks Database Server Manager option.
- Select the Start Scan option if your company file is present there.
Note: If your company file is not there, select the Browse option to find it.
- When QuickBooks Database Server Manager finishes scanning to locate your company file, select the Continue button.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on the server computer and then on your workstation.
- Try to access your company files and see whether you get any QuickBooks multi-user mode errors this time.
If you fail to rectify or resolve 6189 816 code which is creating a wholesome problem even after going through the troubleshooting methods that we have mentioned above in the post, then your company file might be currently stored on a removable drive or online. Hence, our recommendation for you is to move your company files to your local hard drive. For additional troubleshooting assistance resolving QuickBooks error 6189 816, you can speak to our QuickBooks professionals at +1-855-856-0042.