You’ve undoubtedly used a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine if you suffer obstructive sleep apnea. The most effective treatment for sleep apnea is CPAP therapy, which has helped many people in India.
A mask that covers your mouth and nose while you sleep is typically included with a CPAP machine. A hose from the mask is attached to a compact device that you may keep beside your bed. To keep your airway open, this equipment uses the hose and mask to push air into it. It is the least invasive way to get you to sleep through the night without interruptions.
There are two models of Resmed which are the best APAP models – Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and Airstart 10 APAP. There is much more difference between these models other than only price. We will be discussing how these two models differ?
Obstructive and central apneas cannot be distinguished by the AirStart 10 APAP algorithm. All apnea occurrences are rated as obstructive, and all apneas (apart from unknowns) will trigger a response because of this assumption.
Additionally, the AirSense 10 AutoSet algorithm can cure apneas up to 20 cm H2O whereas the AirStart 10 APAP only treats apneas to 10 cm H2O. The AirSense 10 AutoSet and AirStart 10 APAP algorithms both address flow restriction and snoring up to 20 cm H2O. Autoset algorithms can easily identify not only central apneas but RERAs (Respiratory effort- related arousal) also.
Accessories and Design
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and Airstart 10 APAP both have few options in common. Both machines come with a heated humidifier, SD card and filter. But Airstart 10 comes with slimline tubing and it’s not compatible with Climateline Air heated tube.
Whereas, Airsense 10 Autoset has a climate control heated tube which ensures the optimum humidification and temperature for better therapy. It has cloud connectivity for the sleep data and your therapist can easily access your data remotely.
Common settings/Comfort features
Although Airsense 10 Autoset has a lot of comfort settings which are very advanced and Airstart lacks few settings which are present in Airsense, there are some common comfort settings in both the machines.
- Expiratory Pressure Relief – Expiratory pressure release (EPR), a therapeutic comfort feature, keeps the patient’s treatment at its best during inhalation and lowers the administered mask pressure during exhale. The Easy-Breathe waveform expertly mimics each patient’s unique breathing rhythm, making therapy more pleasant and breathing feel more natural.
- Ramp – Your device’s ramp function is intended to make therapy’s start more comfortable. Ramp time is the time between the therapeutic pressure’s low start pressure and the recommended treatment pressure. Ramp time may be set to anything from 5 to 45 minutes, or it can even be turned off.
- Heated Humidification – You may choose to set the humidity level to Off or on a rising range from 1 to 8 in both devices. Patients with dry mouths or noses are advised to use higher levels, while those who complain of too much moisture in their mask should use lower amounts.
By enhancing patient comfort and assisting in the prevention of dry mouth, nose, and throat, humidification can significantly improve the therapeutic experience for your patients. In order to assist wet the air and make therapy more pleasant, ResMed devices provide adjustable humidity levels.
How does Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset differ from Airstart?
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset undoubtedly has a lot of advanced features which differs it from all other models. Other than the most sophisticated Autoset algorithm , following are the few innovative features available in the Airsense-
- Auto Ramp – AutoRamp with sleep onset detection helps patients fall asleep more quickly. AutoRamp gives your patients a personalized start to therapy and makes the most of every precious minute of therapy time with ramp timings that automatically adapt to each patient’s particular sleeping patterns. The AutoRamp function cleverly provides a gentle air pressure through the mask until you fall asleep. After determining that the user has fallen asleep, the gadget will start gradually increasing the pressure to the optimal levels.
- Climate Control Heated humidification- Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is compatible with ClimatelineAir Heated tube. To the patient’s upper airway, the Climate Control system delivers a constant volume of water vapor, or absolute humidity, for each humidifier setting. A steady, pleasant temperature and humidity level are maintained during therapy with the help of Climate Control, a sophisticated system that controls the ResMed HumidAir heated humidifier and ClimateLineAir heated tubing.
There are two options: Auto, where the temperature and humidity levels are pre-set to provide the best possible comfort; and Manual, where patients can change the settings to their preferred comfort levels.
- Cloud Connectivity- With a built-in modem and internet, the AirSense 10 enables your sleep specialists to monitor your progress and, with your permission, modify the settings on your device. With the help of this function, you may establish a stand-alone internet connection that is totally unrelated to any other internet sources you may use. It works by routinely sending your data to the cloud. By creating an account with the ResMed mobile application “MyAir,” you can also register your machine and obtain a complete view of the information related to your CPAP machine.
- Advanced Event Detection – Differentiating between central and obstructive sleep apnea is possible because of a great feature included within the Airsense 10 Autoset. You may thus be assured that you will always receive the best air treatment. Central sleep apnea is frequently associated with neurological problems. In such people, these signals don’t work properly when the brain tells the body it’s time to breathe. This is a dangerous disease that leads to central sleep apnea, but AirSense 10 AutoSet “knows” when and how to deliver the most effective therapy. Airsense 10 Autoset can locate CSA, CSR, and RERA with ease for enhanced diagnosis.
By discussing the above points we can conclude that the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is far better than Resmed Airstart 10 APAP.