As a QuickBooks user, have you ever encountered QuickBooks error 6177? If yes, then let us tell you that it comes under the category of 6xxx series errors and usually occurs when users attempt to access their company files in the multi-user mode of QuickBooks Desktop. A user might see an error text on the computer screen stating, “We’re sorry, but QuickBooks can’t open your company file.” The absence of company files not disturbs the entire workflow but also frustrates the users a lot. Hence, we have come up with this post to explain to you why QuickBooks error code 6177 arises in the first instance and how to fix it instantly.
Want to get over QuickBooks error 6177 but unwilling to go through the complex troubleshooting methods? If yes, please contact our QuickBooks professionals at 1-855-856-0042.
What are the factors that lead to QuickBooks error code 6177?
The followings are some of the common factors due to which users face QuickBooks error code 6177:
- The Network Data configuration file, which is essential for QuickBooks Desktop to open the company file, is damaged.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager, which facilitates multi-user mode in QuickBooks Desktop, is not running on the server computer.
How to get over QuickBooks error 6177 with safety?
Method 1) Manually delete the Network Configuration file
- Click on the Windows Start icon.
- Enter “Windows Explorer” into the search bar and double-click on Windows Explorer.
- Open the C: drive and then navigate to the path, “Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks.”
- In the QuickBooks folder, look for the file with your company title and the extension of .ND.
- Right-click on the .ND file and select the Delete option.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and see whether you are able to open your company file this time.
Method 2) Setup QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server computer
- Get the QuickBooks Database Server Manager application on your server computer.
Note: Server computer is the one that hosts all your company files on a multi-user network.
- Click on the Windows Start menu.
- Enter “Database” in the search box and open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Pick the QuickBooks folder, which contains your company files.
- Click on the Start Scan button.
- When the scan to locate the company files is done, select the Close button.
- Open Windows Explorer and go to the folder containing your company files.
- Right-click on the folder and select the Properties option.
- Go to the Sharing tab and select the Share this folder option.
- Move to the Security tab and select the Permissions option to set permissions for all the users who will access the company files folder.
- Click on the Apply button and then the OK button.
If QuickBooks error 6177 persists even after going through the troubleshooting solutions mentioned above in the post, then the Windows Firewall settings might be blocking QuickBooks Desktop from connecting to the internet. Hence, our suggestion for you is to manually configure the Windows Firewall settings for QuickBooks Desktop. For furthermore troubleshooting guidance to get over QuickBooks error code 6177, don’t hesitate to contact our QuickBooks professionals at 1-855-856-0042.